Cindy and Roy

Cindy and Roy
Retired Travelers

Monday, March 5, 2012

Just a few thoughts on RACISM AND SLAVERY -


This may be an uncomfortable subject for some people, but I would like to talk about racism and slavery.

Traveling through Africa and speaking to Africans, has given me some food for thought that I would be remiss if I did not share.

By no means, do I claim to understand, or do I believe I can truly ever understand the depth or complexity of slavery. But I have initiated conversations with whites and blacks during my travels and found both very open to speak on the subject.

First, I would like to start out my blog recounting an experience I had in Lesotho, a small country within South Africa. When touring a makeshift museum, a young African woman, maybe twenty, volunteered to be our tour guide. She was one of the sweetest people we met. During our conversation she referred to us as being with the American tribe. Roy and I looked at each other and smiled “tribe”? I thought about it, and we do fit the definition of a tribe. Any aggregate of people united by ties community of customs and traditions, adherence to the same leaders, etc.  So, if we are a tribe, then maybe we aren’t that different from other tribes in all parts of the world?

Roy and I also observed a rather enlightening exchange one night sitting around a campfire in a bush camp. The conversation was between a Tembe tribesman and a rather crusty white South African. I actually prompted the conversation by asking about the Indians from India that I was told were enslaved and brought to Africa by the missionaries to cut cane.

As if we weren’t there, the two of them went into relaying to each other racial jokes about the Indians. In fact, one even recalled a bumper sticker saying, “we should have cut our own cane”. These two men were actually united in the racism of Indians. It was surreal for us to witness this.

Then there was the hotel clerk in a small town that when asked his name said, “My name is Mohwanado but my slave name is Mike”. Stunned, I said “your slave name”?? He said, “Yes, we are required to have a slave name in Africa”. I said, “REQUIRED”!  He explained that the people here can’t pronounce the tribal names so he has to pick a name they can say. In this day and age??? I was appalled! To me my name and my family name are so important and makes up not only my identity but the very core of who I am. The young man was shocked at my disbelief that the government required such a thing. I asked him to write down his real name and then I promised to use it when referring to him during my stay.  He smiled proudly.

I went to my room that night and had trouble sleeping thinking about my conversation with this nice young man. I know when my family and many families came to America our names were altered either accidentally or for the ease of the person admitting them in. I also know that the Native Indians had tribal names and although many white men did not use those names, they did use their meanings Big Foot, Little Bear etc.

The young man told me is first name meant warrior and his last name meant kingdom. I understood why Jack or Mike, or Bob was easier but not better. Further, I have to say that the Dutch influence here has resulted in the naming of many many places and things and their words are unbelievably complex. So, I don’t get it. Is this practice racism or just laziness? Or BOTH!

Today, every black African I met and many white ones to were very excited about the election of President Obama. Clearly, he has given them hope for the future. I will also tell you that although my opinions on government differ from our President, I was very proud to be his good will ambassador everywhere I went.

I was also a little surprised, that in my travels, I did not get a sense of any animosity regarding America’s history of slavery. Maybe because they the Africans still residing in Africa, were the ones left behind and many other things like Apartheid have left deep personal wounds more recently.

So, I don’t know what all this means today or even for the future. Understandably, the wounds of American slavery do not seem to be as deep from the people who were taken from as from those taken.  Perhaps it is because the people taken from this beautiful place called Africa will never know if they were plucked from their destiny or sent to fulfill it.
All I know is there is something magical about this place that I wish like their name, I could give back to them.