Cindy and Roy

Cindy and Roy
Retired Travelers

Thursday, February 23, 2012

IT HAPPENS!


I told you so! I told you so! Now that I got that out of my system, I can begin my story.

After leaving the blissful tranquility of Glenrock Farm, we headed to our next stop which was an extremely remote lodge on the top of a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean. In all fairness, we had been sufficiently warned that the short road up to the lodge was most likely impassable with a car. We were also instructed that in that case we would leave our car below and call the lodge so someone with a four wheeler could come fetch us. Now that might raise a red flag for some but us, we both said wow how cool!

Unfortunately, what we weren’t told is that the one hundred plus miles leading up to our next stop was also an obstacle course that forced navigators to maneuver around people, animals and yes POT HOLES the size of Rhode Island. That’s on a normal day… but this day was special so add torrential rain flowing down the mountains and golf size hail!

But I digress. If you had read my earlier post you may remember that Roy has an unspoken rule that he is the only qualified person to drive when were on vacation. Even though I’m quite sure my license is as valid as his. But okay Mr. Macho who am I to rain on your testosterone parade. Cindy Hubler that’s who!! And am I also so petty that I would point out one little mistake after Roy has driven over 2000 miles across AFRICA without incident?? You betcha!

Well, the day started out pretty well with just a few delays here and there but nothing to stress over. The sun was shining as we chatted and munched on these fantastic vanilla cookies they sell at the roadside gas stations. We were on schedule to get to our new place by dark and all was good with the world.

Then it happened. Roy started swearing and steering the wheel first dramatically to the left then to the right. I told him to SLOW DOWN as he moved quickly from lane to lane side to side. All I heard is a loud clunk- clunk – clunk as I prayed our little foreign tin hut on wheels would not crumble around us. I shouted this time more firmly SLOW DOWN! But it was too late. We both saw it at the same time… “THE HOLE” of all mother holes. With a big crunch we were falling in and then moments later flying out of the hole. The two of us were like rag dolls being bounced around the car. Had we fallen in and out of the great abyss?? Okay maybe I’m exaggerating a little but you get the point!

As we continued on we moved gingerly silently waiting for the sound alerting us of the damage. Remarkably, we seem to have come through unscathed. We both then looked at each other in disbelief, gave a huge sigh of relief and decide to forge ahead.

After that, the road improved ever so slightly, the skies cleared and the sun came out. All was good with the world. Even the people on the road seem happy as everyone we pass waved at us in excitement motioning us with funny gestures. And although we were traversing narrow curvy roads high up in the mountain the last fifty miles were uneventful.

Finally, we reached our destination. As we pulled the car to the side of the road several men came running towards us yelling… your wheels your wheels! Roy and I got out of our car and then saw that two of our tire rims are severely damaged and our wheels were bent and wobbling. We then realize that OMG we have been driving like this since we hit “THE HOLE”.

After we thanked our Father and father(s) for preventing our demise over a cliff we were at a loss what to do. Keep in mind we are two hours from a town, four hours from a city and six hours from another office of our rental company. So, as instructed we call the people on top the hill to come get us and sheepishly left our wounded car parked below.

After a sleepless night we decide the only thing we could do was call the rental company explain (our new story) that we were cut off by a truck and hit a ditch and then see what happens. To our delight and surprise the rental company responded quickly and said they were sending someone with two new tires to our rescue. YAH!!!

After waiting all day nervously, we finally got the call the man was at the bottom of the mountain waiting for us to meet him and take him to our wounded car. He surveyed the car and shook his head as I talking a hundred miles an hour telling him THE STORY. Quickly, he opened our trunk got out the tire iron and began to remove the bolts. Within minutes the first new tire was on. I was so excited and impressed! Then he pulled out the second tire that he had brought. It looked fine until we noticed the rim was bent. Roy said, laughingly “You’re not going to put that on my car are you”? The guys said,”yep”. Roy said, “Why would you drive four hours and bring me another bent tire?” The guy shook his head and said “No problem…hey man do you have a hammer?” Roy said, “No I don’t have a hammer. If I did I wouldn’t have called you!” Then the guy shook his head walked a few feet and picked up a rock and began to try and bend the rim of the tire.

Frustrated, Roy grabbed the tire and started to walk down the street to find a hammer. Ten minutes later and $8 dollars poorer Roy returned covered with dirt tire in hand. The guy then took off our tire with the bent rim and put on another tire with a bent rim --- huh?  

That’s why people here say…TIA! This is Africa!

So, our car is fixed for the most part but Roy’s ego is a little bruised. Maybe next time when I say SLOW DOWN he’ll actually listen to me.
Until then…I guess I just have to say “I told you so”!