Cindy and Roy

Cindy and Roy
Retired Travelers

Saturday, February 11, 2012

SHOW ME YOU’RE HOOTERS!!



When crossing the border into Swaziland we noticed the instructional signage of what to do is virtually nonexistent. As we approach the gate, a gentleman flags us over telling us to park our car. While we wait for further instruction, he takes a seat on a stool directly in front of our car. After patiently waiting for a minute or two he comes up to our car and told us that we have to go in the building. DUH??!!  So, we go in get our passport stamped and without further confusion we are back in car being directed with a pointing finger down the road.  About 200 yards later we see several police standing on the side of the road. A very pretty young women dressed in a police uniform approaches us signaling to pull over. At this point, I got a little nervous because I had lied at customs and didn’t declare several gifts that I had in my backpack. For a second, I imagined being hauled off to some unknown destination to do hard labor on a sugarcane plantation. After reassuring myself that that wasn’t going to happen I smiled and tried my best not to look guilty. Then the policewomen began to give Roy instructions in what appeared to be an auto check. First, the blinkers…so can you guess what Roy did? That’s right. Mr. Blinky turned on the windshield wipers spraying the poor girl with pretty blue water. I thought oh no! Now were in big trouble back to the sugar cane picken….Thank God she smiled seemenly amused at our foreign incompetence.  Now with all lights checked she instructed Roy to “show me your hooter”. Roy looked at me and said, “what’s a hooter?’ Like I should know what the hell a hooter is. I said to Roy “maybe open the hood???” She then pointed to our horn. Thank God! For a minute I thought that I was going to have to take my shirt off and display my “hooters”.  Than with two quick toots from our horn we all laughed and we were traveling down the road in Swaziland.