Cindy and Roy

Cindy and Roy
Retired Travelers

Wednesday, February 11, 2015


Our penny from heaven finds a heavenly home! As you may have read in my earlier post, Roy and I were blessed to find a penny that we believe was from heaven, in a farm house that we were staying at near the orphanage in Peru. Well today we visited a beautiful nunnery that was built in 1579. At the time, as an honor, the second daughter of wealthy Spanish families were sent to the nunnery to live out their lives. The families paid in gold and silver the equivalent today of around $150,000 to the convent for their daughters. Once there, the daughters would become nuns and stay within the walls of the monastery. As I strolled through the long beautiful floral walkway and visited the many rooms of the nunnery, I felt like I could hear the voice of the nuns praying. Even though and honor, the thought of the girls that were just twelve years old being given to the nuns for a future life of seclusion and prayer was very sad. There were kitchens and sleeping rooms, chapels and gardens even a special cemetery for the remains of nuns that called this their home. As I reflected on all the thousands if not millions of prayers lifted up, I could not help but be moved. That is when I found this beautiful fountain surrounded by flowers in a secluded garden. Standing alone in this special place, I pulled out my heavenly penny that I had found in the dusty corner of the old farm kitchen. After saying a little prayer to all the nuns that called this special place their home, I tossed the penny into the very top of the fountain away from anyone’s sight. I sat on the fountain for a moment to give thanks for having found such a special home for my heavenly penny. Later that day, imagine my surprise when I looked at our pictures and saw that from the roof of the building, Roy had captured the moment.