Cindy and Roy

Cindy and Roy
Retired Travelers

Sunday, February 8, 2015

SWEET DREAMS SWEET GIRLS! When we were at an orphanage in Africa last year, we were saddened to see that the children did not have pajamas to wear to bed. They actually slept in their clothes. This truly broke my heart because I remember so well the feeling of putting my pajamas on as a child and feeling so warm and cuddly. I pledged that when I went back to the orphanage, I would literally bring hundreds of pajamas so each child would have their very own. Well, the hundreds will have to wait until 2016 when we return to Africa to the large orphanage in Kenya. However, this year Roy and I brought about 40 beautiful pajama sets in all sizes for the girls in Peru ages 2- 17. On the second to last day of our stay, we came to orphanage with two very large suitcase and went off to a small room and closed the doors. The girls tried as they might to peak in to see what we had in our suitcases and all we could hear were little girl giggles on the other side of the old painted door. Inside we laid out all the pajamas by size so we could make sure we could match up the best choice for each girl. One by one starting with the smallest we let them select their brand new pj’s. Their eyes lit up when they saw how soft and cute each pair was. When the last girls came in which were the oldest, I told them because I had more in the bigger sizes that they could each pick two. How touching when they said that one was fine and they would save the extra’s for other girls in the future. We didn’t take many photos because the girls immediately took their new pj’s and put them near their beds. The next day when I arrived the girls were all excited to tell me how much they loved their pajamas and how soft they were. They had smiles that told me that they too felt warm and cuddly - maybe for the first time in a very long time. I hope that they all have Sweet dreams!